There are two types of conversations you can be having - one is condition based and the other is generative. What's the difference and how can these conversations fuel your progress?
1) Condition based conversations - these are the types of conversations that 95% of the population is having 99% of the time. This is where we are basically re-stating information that we have heard or seen or where we are replaying our current situation or past story. This type of conversation has us re-living the conditions around us and recreating our current results. We often leave with a feeling of neutrality, being drained or validated in our position.
2) Generative Conversations - these types of conversations are on a higher frequency and are more creative and produce a new result. This is when we are talking about possibility, what you are looking forward to, what you are creating. When you are in a generative type conversation you are creating your experience versus having your conditions dictate your mood, state of mind and results. After a generative conversation you will feel excited, inspired or energized.
How can you move a conversation from condition based to generative? Ask better questions like:
- Tell me about your vision?
- What are you excited about this year?
- If you could be anywhere right now where would you be?
- What if it all worked out?
Start noticing the types of conversations you find yourself in today and work towards having more generative conversations than condition based. The more you give yourself permission to generate your conversation and be inside possibility it will accelerate turning that possibility a reality.
To great conversation,